Monday, February 05, 2007

February 5, 2007: Trying to be the Queen of All Media!

Hey, folks.

One of my fellow bloggers on Blogging in Black spoke recently in her post about signs, about how she wondered whether Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith's historical SuperBowl first could be interpreted as a sign that we, as a people, would succeed this year.

I sure hope so. Because my good friend and fellow multi-culti author Karyn Langhorne presented me with a unique opportunity -- to host a radio show about books and publishing with her. I jumped at the chance. On Friday, February 2, Karyn and I hosted the inaugural broadcast of our radio show called The Book Squad on www.wmet1160.com.

In case you’re wondering, The Book Squad is a fast-paced, high impact hour in which Karyn and I interview authors and dish about trends within the publishing industry. There’s also the 12:15 pm segment on the show called "Buy it or Burn it." You can call in and give your own recommendations on what's hot and what's not. Our version of the radio deejays' Pump it or Dump it,' or 'Slam it or Jam it.'

That Friday, the mountains didn't crumble. The seas didn't roar. Nobody asked us to go to DisneyWorld. But we had the best time, dishing about books and Hollywood with Denise Nicholas, the author of Freshwater Road, a phenomenal book about a Black girl from Detroit going down to Mississippi to register voters during Freedom Summer. And we got people excited about talking about books -- I think.

So, I hope my fellow blogger is right, that, for Karyn and I, this is one of our Tony/Lovie moment. You can join us too, if you'd like. No pressure. We're on Fridays from 12 noon to 1 p.m. at www.wmet1160.com. You can also check out The Book Squad website and blog.

Come and join us.

P.S. Congrats to Tony Dungy and The Indianapolis Colts. Thanks for the inspiration!

No comments: