Wednesday, February 14, 2007

February 14, 2007: The Grinch Who Stole Valentine's Day

I hate Valentine’s Day.

I know it’s strange for someone who writes relationship fiction to feel this way. But I do hate Valentine’s Day. And I’m cool with that. Life is filled with many contradictions that run deeper than my personal feelings for a manufactured holiday.

I’m past being envious when I see happy couples strolling around. I’m past wanting to smash them in the face. As I got older, I realized that there was nothing wrong with me because I didn’t get an arm full of flowers and a box of heart-clogging candy on the one day of the year that Hallmark or whomever designated was the day for it. Flowers and candy on February 14th seem to mitigate a multitude of sins that occur on the other three-hundred-sixty-four days of the year. Hey, I’m sure even O.J. bought Nicole flowers and candy on Valentine’s Day.

To read the entire blog entry, go to the February 14th posting at Blogging In Black...

No comments: