Saturday, October 14, 2006

October 14, 2006: Publishing: Fantasy Versus Reality

At last Saturday’s 2nd Annual Capital BookFest, I participated on a panel on writing and getting published. Right out the gate, the moderator, Gregg Wilhelm of Baltimore’s CityLit Project, asked me what I knew now as a published writer that I wished I knew before the book deal.

Deep question. I mean, when folks meet me, they tend to ask me about my process (“Drink – coffee or Bacardis and Coke – until the Muse allows me to channel her.”), how long did it take to write my latest book (“Time is a fluid concept – especially for West Indians, like me.”), and what was it like to meet Eric Jerome Dickey (exceedingly insightful). So, Gregg’s question gave me pause. After I stopped stuttering like Ralph Kramden inside, I ditched my internal talk points and spoke from the heart. Here’s what I said under pressure.

Visit Blogging in Black's October 14, 2006 entry to continue...

2 comments:

a.Kai said...

I am sorry that I missed Bookfest - I have to get beter organized. I love your blog - can I add you to my fav links on my site at discoverkai.blogspot.com?

Wendy Coakley-Thompson said...

The BookFest was all that! Even with the crappy weather. Of course you can add my blog to your fave Links! And I will add you to mine. Good to know ya.